Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes: The 10 days of Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations are very special in all over India. Ganesh Chaturthi celebration Is very popular in some states, for example, Maharashtra, and Andhra Pradesh begins on August 25, 2017, and will close on September 4 on the favourable date of Anant Chaturdashi. In Maharashtra it is a group celebration with lovely Ganesha idols worshiped all around the city. It is a supernatural time where these states are immerses itself in the adoring Ganesha as Vighnaharta, the Destroyer of All Obstacles. Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the major poojas we do at home and here are the recipes from Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra that are offered as Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes.
The recipes which are prepared during ganesha Chaturthi varies from state to state. E.g. modak or kozhukattai which is one of the favourate food of Lord Ganesha is prepared differently in different states.
Varities of food is being made for Ganesh Chaturthi. But there are some which are most favourite, and are included for worshiping lord Ganesha in almost all the states.
Also Check: Ganesh Chaturthi Quotes in Hindi
The most festive Ganesh Chaturthi Recipies are:
Modak, Patholi, Puran poli, Aloo methi, Kothimbir badi, Poha chiwda, Pooris, Coconut ladoo, Poha ladoo, Carrot halwa, Banana sheera, Lauki halwa, Aata ka halwa, Rice kheer and Sabudana khichdi.
Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes: Among all the mentioned food, the most favourate food of lord Ganesha is Modak. So, it has special importance in worship. Due to this many variations of Modak is being made in all over India for this occasion.
Also Check: Essay on Ganesh Chaturthi
List of variations of Modak:
- Rava modak:- Outer cover is made from sooji. Stuffing is made from coconut and jiggery.
- Mava modak:- It is made from khoya and stuffed with figs, nuts and dry coconut.
- Fried modak:- It is deep fried modak recipe with sweet, chewy coconut stuffing and very crispy outside covering.
- Ukadiche modak:- The outer covering is made from rice flour and dtuffing is made from coconut-jaggery.
- Coconut modak:- It is made from desiccated coconut and sweetened condensed milk.
- Til modak:- A variation to usual recipe and made from sesame seeds and jiggery.
- Malai modak:– Only two ingredients are required, one is condensed milk and second is paneer.
- Dry fruit modak:- Quick recipe where nuts, dates, raisins and dry coconut are grinded and mixthe shaped using modak moulds.
- Modak peda:– This is nothing but the popular kesar peda shaped into modak.
- Chocolate modak:- Fusion version of making modak. It is made from semi sweet chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and biscuit crumbs.
Brief recipes for Modak | Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes
Ingredients to make modak
- Rice flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Chana dal – 200 gm
- Jaggery (shredded) – 1
- Dry ginger powder (for flavour)
- Cardamom – 5-6
- Sugar – 1-2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Gheer – 2 tsp
Step by Step Guide
Step 1: Soak the chana dal for 30 minutes
Step 2: Pressure cook the soaked channa dal and drain the excess water if any.
Step 3: Shred the jaggery.
Step 4: In a pan mix both the cooked channa dal and jaggery and heat it medium flame.Add dry ginger powder, elachi (cardamon).
Step 5: Remove the thick filling from the stove. At this consistency, it would be easy to make dumplings.
Step 6: Made round balls out of the filling as show in pic below. Keep the filling balls aside and now lets made the outer covering for the modak.
Step 7: Take the rice flour in a pan and add 1 or 2 tsp of sugar, pinch of salt and 2 tsp of ghee. Add hot water into the flour and mix it immediately to the consistency of roti dough.
Step 8: Make rice balls out of the dough.
Step 9: Flatten the rice ball, keep the filling in the centre and wrap it into a dumpling.
Step 10: Modak balls are ready to be steamed.
Step 11: Steam cook the modaks.
Also Check: Ganesh Ji Ki Aarti Lyrics
Now, modak is ready. ^_^